Thursday, December 2, 2010

TALE of the THANKSGIVING TURKEY that PLAYED a TRICK on ME...

It was the Tuesday before Thanksgiving.. 

We were getting severe storm warnings for later that afternoon and throughout the next day, the worst we'd seen in a decade the weather men were saying... I went into Tanner's class to do some activities for Grandparents day that morning and checked him out a little early. We went shopping to three different stores gathering all the items we needed for our Thanksgiving menu and to make the cold, wintry weekend cozy & comfortable! 

By the time we made it home I'd been gone for about 3-4 hours. I had a car full of stuff to unload. I started making the trips back & forth bringing everything in.. when all of the sudden I started to smell something burning in my house. I hurried and turned off the furnace and the pilot to the gas fireplace and walked around the house checking all the rooms and anything I could think of that might start a fire. In doing this I realized that I couldn't really smell the burning smell in the basement but as soon as I started back up the stairs I could smell it again. 

I called Andres to tell him about it and ask him if he thought I should call the fire dept. I told him that the only way I could describe the burning smell was that it smelt like really strong burnt toast and wood... not electrical. As I was talking to him it seemed even stronger and that's when I decided I better call 911. I grabbed Kynlee & Tanner and went outside to wait. 

They came.. the fire truck, the paramedic, the cop cars.. I took them all in the house to investigate what the smell was and where it might be coming from. Me and about seven to ten firefighters/cops walking through my house upstairs and downstairs trying to figure it out. Finally, as we're coming up the stairs and start heading toward the kitchen area for the second or third time one of the guys says.. "It definitely smells the strongest here in the kitchen." and we're all standing there trying to think about what it might be when one of the guys walks over by my fridge and says.. "Oh, I think I just found the source of it." Just a quick reminder, my counter tops were full of sacks and groceries I'd been bringing in from the car. Then he says.. "It looks like your turkey fell back a bit, pressed the button on your toaster down and it's been melting the tag on the top of the turkey." 

At this point, I was very thankful it wasn't anything more serious.. but at the same time I felt like a total dork. LOL Here I am standing in my kitchen with seven to ten firefighters and the turkey tag is melting over the toaster. How embarrassing... I was totally apologizing for calling them out but they were really cool about it. They just kept saying.. "Oh no.. don't worry about it. It's always better to be safe than sorry." and then they started asking me what kind of dogs we had, they all loved them. 

So, that's the tale of the Thanksgiving Turkey that played a trick on me.. and it's a tale that will be told around the Thanksgiving Table & laughed about for years to come I'm sure!

3 comments:

Alisha said...

That's funny:) Glad you found what it was and that it wasn't some kind of disaster!

La said...

LOL! I love this story.

Wendi said...

John told me about that. And I knew it would show up on your blog eventually. :) I'm glad it wasn't something more serious!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...