Acapulco was the first place that we ported. It was amazing from a distance and viewpoints mostly, but up close it was pretty dirty. We chartered a big van with a bunch of us and had decided to start out by going to see some turtles hatch and maybe go on a ecological tour, but by the time we got there {an hour and a half later} and found that we had left almost all signs of civilization behind and were now in a poverty stricken area the majority of us decided we wanted to head back to the more touristy area and find a resort/beach to go to where we could actually eat food and have choices of things to do. So back on the road again we went.. we did get to stop along the way and check out some great views and our driver pointed out some celebrity homes and interesting facts along the way. Once we got to the beach we were all excited to get out there and relax, but unfortunately every 30 seconds you had ANOTHER person getting in your face trying to get you to buy some junk jewelry that looks like it came out of a gum-ball machine {that they claim is real silver}, table clothes, dresses you name it.. and even worse the chicks that come up and say "massage" in this freaky soft voice and start touching you without your okay. I can't even count the amount of times I said "No, No Thank You!" in the hour or two that we were on the beach.. One time I had to manually pick up a ladies hand off my back/shoulder and push it away after I'd already told her "No I don't want a massage" five times, and LUCKILY I wasn't one of the ones that they poured their turtle oil on without my okay! So in conclusion.. the beach was beautiful and I could've spent a whole day just sitting there relaxing and soaking up the sun, but the people bugging you every time you turn around really ruined it. Aside from that, we did order a meal from a restaurant on the beach and the salsa and guacamole were to die for!
We hung out with this couple a lot! They are so fun to be around, they are really down-to-earth, sincere people that you know will always be a good friend. We hung out with them on the cruise last year as well and have made some great memories with them.
After spending time on the beach our driver took us to this really neat hotel way up at the top of a cliff that used to be owned by the original Tarzan. We got there right when the sun was setting and it was breathtaking. It has this outdoor restaurant built up the trees right along the edge of the cliff where you look out over the ocean, this is where we had dinner. We were kind of nervous though because there were about six raccoons pacing around on the walk way below where we were eating and at one point one hopped up into the restaurant and was walking around by our table. YIKES!
This is where they invented the "Coco Loco" drink back in 1935 where they cut off the top of the coconut and add rum and other alcoholic beverages for a exotic taste of coconut. We ordered a virgin one and it tasted like sweet water. It didn't have any flavor at all, I was surprised.. I thought it would at least taste like coconut minus the liquor - no wonder they add all that stuff to it, otherwise why would you want to drink it. Many celebrities have come to this resort over the years, my favorite being CARY GRANT! Oh I can just imagine him here, how romantic...~
After eating dinner our driver took us to the very first hotel in Acapulco which is now like a ghost town. You can still walk through it, but no one is there except for a few people at the front desk. It's called The Casablanca Hotel. It has this huge winding staircase that takes you up three levels to a big terrace where I imagine they used to have dinner parties & dancing. The picture above is the view from the third level which is a big outdoor balcony. The first and second floor is complete glass so you still can see the view there too.
We finished our day in Acapulco by going to see the infamous cliff divers plunge into the turbulent waters of Le Quebrada. I was so nervous for them, my stomach was churning and I can't believe how young some of them were, like 14 or 15 at the oldest. HOLY MOLY!
All in all, even know there were certain things I really didn't like about Acapulco, this port is where we did and saw the most and I'll never forget the things that I loved about it. Like I said, it is truly amazing from a distance and look out points.
On our way back to the van from seeing the cliff divers I saw this piece of corn on a stick and it reminded me of Nacho Libre. We often recite the line from that movie where Nacho says to Steven "Get that corn out of my face!" and I knew the kids would get a kick out of seeing a real peice of corn on a stick in Mexico, laying on those filthy steps I might add.. I did say it was dirty there right?
0 comments:
Post a Comment