Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Kansas Trip: Carthage Jail - Winter Quarters


Going to Carthage was quite a moving experience to end our trip with. Being there in person and trying to imagine what it must have been like the day that the mobs came in and martyred Joseph and Hyrum is very overwhelming. It's hard to fight back the tears that so naturally fill your eyes. I remember when running my hand along the actual banister leading up the stairs that Joseph more than likely ran his hand along this very same banister not long before his death. 

I've always wanted to see and visit all of these church historical sites and now that we have, you'd think that I'd feel a sense of fulfillment, but instead I feel a deep yearning to visit them again, and even again.. if I can. I really miss them and I'm so grateful for how they strengthened my testimony and broadened my understanding of Joseph Smith and the Saints during the time that they established all of these places of significance. If you haven't been... you REALLY should plan a trip around it. You'll LOVE it!

3 comments:

Kim said...

I just watched the slide show again....I am sending you a CD so you can copy all of these photos....I think we were there in prime fall time! Your photog skills are amazing.....

Wendi said...

That was a neat tribute to the Prophet. Thanks for sharing your feelings about that. I loved the picture of the temple with the beautiful blue sky above it. :)

La said...

Carthage is the birthplace of my testimony. I was there when I was 12 and I have never been the same. I will for sure take my kids on this trip.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...